May 20, 2010

prelude to night


this summer session, I am taking a dance fundamentals class.
I had the opportunity yesterday to go to a master class from the artistic director and founder of a dance company called Rioult. (named for Pascal Rioult, the director and founder)
He taught some of the technique and movement he uses in his company and also gave out free tickets to his show that I attended tonight.
what I loved about this dance company's performance was the real feeling of human emotion portrayed in their movement.
as a dancer, myself, I have performed probably close to a hundred different dances in my lifetime and never have i seen such emotion pouring out of every movement that was choreographed.

a piece, titled "prelude to night" was choreographed by Pascal when his wife battled ovarian cancer. (you can check out the dance here)
(their show was part of an artist series called Chords of Color to promote
cancer research and awareness.)

what i loved about this piece was that it spoke to the reality of pain. and not just of cancer but to the human soul in any battle.
we all feel pain in one way or another.

throughout the dance she seemed to be a part of a transition that took her through her worst nightmare...a battle she felt she fought alone and couldn't win.
but thankfully, she isn't alone and she has won.

it struck pretty close to home for me right now because
I have a family member battling with cancer.

lately he got some pretty bad news and feels very frustrated.

i bet sometimes he feels alone and he probably wants to give up now and then.

i am praying hard for his body to overcome this, for healing, for peace, for rest, lifted spirits, my family, the doctors and for Jesus to hold him close.
although I have never battled cancer myself, i know pain and feeling hopeless.

everyone has fought their own battles in some way or another.

But best of all Jesus has fought the ultimate battle and won it for us, in advance. :)

this is one of my favorite verses, ever.
John 16:33
"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace.
In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."





No comments: