Nov 2, 2010

a life worth celebrating

As some of you know, I have been asking for prayers for my Uncle David battling prostate cancer.

On Monday October 25th he went to be with Jesus.

It was a long and hard battle- one that doesn't seem fair to me- but he is no longer suffering and is totally at peace now.
I find peace with knowing that.

I would obviously rather him still be with us-- healthy-- but with us. He was such a great man, brother, father, husband,uncle, grand daddy. He gave of his time to others, was fair, kind and a true man of wisdom and integrity. He worked in public schools for 34 years as a teacher and principal. His life inspires me and I could really see that he made a huge impact in his community.
Over 300 people came to his visitation on Thursday night. I'm thinking about that number or a little less were also there Friday morning to celebrate his life at the funeral. I was impressed by his small town's respect for his life and concern for his family he left behind.

I did, however, get to squeeze and play with my little cousins Lilly and Layla (2.5yrs and 8mos old) though.
All I could think about was that their grand daddy would ask me to do that because he couldn't anymore.

I also got to spend time with my older cousins and go out for dinner and drinks. Some times I think its weird that family only gets together when people die (last time we were all together was Granny's funeral) but I know that Granny and Uncle David would be up in Heaven saying, "Y'all need to get together and eat ya somethin'!"

Cancer frustrates me a lot, but thankfully I have peace knowing Uncle David was a true man of faith and he is finally home with his savior.

I'll miss you Uncle David :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

A very nice tribute to your uncle!