Nov 17, 2011

goals and turkey day!

Made some really cute turkeys with my kids this week, can't wait to hang them up on monday for t-giving week! We used our handprints for the feathers, stamping them in a semi circle shape. Then I cut two brown circles, a larger one from construction paper and the smaller one from a brown lunch bag (being resourceful) to use as the body and head. We added buttons for eyes and an orange beak and the red dangly thing (don't know what this is called) both from construction paper as well. Cute memory of how big/small their hands were if you look back on it in a few years! The kids loved seeing their handprints come to life :)

I have also been thinking a lot about goals. My kids are starting in the "I did it" phase right now. They want me to notice everything!! We set small goals for them so that they can feel accomplishment throughout the day but also, they know there are some things that take time.

I cleaned out our pull ups collection this week, as many of them are potty trained now and don't need a stack on hand. It was bittersweet to see how many kids I got to send home pull ups with. I cleared about 3/4ths of my diapers out! I'm so proud of them for working hard on using the potty!

I did an activity with them today from a magazine stack. We sat around the table and flipped through to find foods we think are healthy and not healthy. This week has been about Food and Health. We discussed soda vs. milk, fruits vs. chips, etc. They loved cutting out the foods we found and we took turns gluing them on a paper plate. We filled a couple plates with yummy foods we might try! They of course wanted a turn with the scizzors next so I gave them each a magazine page and a pair of kid scizzors and away they went, for 30 minutes! I couldnt believe how much attention they gave to cutting away at the paper! These kids seriously love scizzors! I teach them to say, "open close open close...etc" as they cut and to make sure they have their fingers placed correctly. It's been fun to see some of them really grasp how to cut and use scizzors in the past few months. I'm a proud teacher!

Happy Thursday!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You help to give me ideas. ;)