Jun 23, 2010

Thankful


Yesterday night, my best friend Stephanie and I were headed up to Tennessee to join my family at our cabin for a week's vacation.
At approximately 7pm, June 22nd, my car hydro-planed and began spinning off the road.
Stephanie had just taken over driving for the second half of the 9 hour trip.

She and I spun around in my car about 3 or 4 times before we landed in the median, facing the road. Upon hitting the cable in the median my survival instincts set in. I assured Steph it wasn't her fault and that we were okay and that's all that mattered.... but that was just the beginning.
I decided to get out of the car and check the damage. I got out of the passenger side of the car and walked around the car. Steph opened her door and I told her that the car looked fine. I remember picking up a piece of tire and asking Steph if she thought it was from my car and the next thing I know I see another car spinning off the road, coming STRAIGHT TOWARD US. I started screaming for Steph to get out of the car and to run with me away from where my car was parked. I just wanted to pull her out and get away as fast as I could. I knew that black pick up truck was going to smash into my car, and it would be a hard collision. Steph's foot was out of the door but she said all she could do was look away and hold on to the steering wheel as the black truck smashed into the passenger side door and spun my car around at least once. I just ran away as far as I could so I wasn't pinned between the two cars. I thought we would both die.
The black pick up truck landed on its driver side and the young man climbed out of the passenger side window. Steph got out of the car completely unharmed and I ran to her. (I know this sounds so dramatic but it really felt like a bad dream.)
As the three of us now stand in the median I notice 4 OTHER CARS spin out within 500 feet of our two car pile up. None of those were related to our crash though. They all spun out because of the hard rain that just began before our crash.

During the impact of the black truck, my car's windows shattered, the passenger side door smashed in (WHERE I WOULD HAVE BEEN SITTING), the bumper fell off, all lights smashed, door handle fell off my side, and trunk completely smashed in. And to think my car was still in one piece after we first spun off the road...
Long story short, we were able to get our cameras and phones out of the car with the help of some REALLY nice women who stopped and helped us, calmed us, and prayed for us. I have never seen such a thing in my life.
As I stood in the median with Steph and the pick up truck driver watching Semi Trucks sliding around and cars crashing, all I could think about was that we just barely escaped death. Praise God.
The fact that I got out of the car to check it out initially, my have saved my life and that is God. The fact that all windows except Stephanie's were shattered, saving her from being bloody and wounded, is God. The fact that the other driver's car got flipped and he still walked away from the scene, is God.
My parents, who were already in TN at the cabin drove to South Carolina to get us as soon as they could. We waited in a Waffle House in the middle of no where. Literally. I have never been so happy to see them.

I am SO thankful that God saved us and put a huge blanket of protection over us. He is so GOOD.
Even as I sit here just about to burst into tears, remembering the vision of the truck coming towards us and the initial spinning off the road, I am in AWE of the way God protected His children.

Isaiah 41:10
Don’t you be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you. Yes, I will help you. Yes, I will uphold you with the right hand of my righteousness.

Praise God for His goodness ALWAYS, and please be careful in the rain.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow girl! That is unreal! Praise the Lord for his mercy!!!! I was in a pretty bad wreck like yours and my friend and I walked away pretty much unharmed also. I have no recollection of the wreck though which is weird. And it's funny when you said you cried or almost did when you saw your parents. I did too! I wasn't even living at home at the time but boy did I boo hoo when they walked in the hospital!

So, so glad y'all are okay!!!!