Apr 14, 2008

Water Slides and Awards..


This weekend I, and the rest of Broward Area Council planned and put on an event outside of my dorm called, "Broward Beach BBQ Bash." I spent a majority of last week calling companies to reserve an inflatable water slide and spending money to provide the residents with hamburgers and hotdogs. (All the money we use is accumulated from year to year from the sale of 'activity cards' that residents buy to be able to participate in events and rent vaccuums throughout the year.) Anyways, I spent 10 hours on Saturday outside setting up and sliding down our 13 foot water slide with 100 other Broward Hall residents. I got a good tan and ate a couple good hot dogs. With the Orange and Blue game going on, we had a major turnout of people wanting to come and celebrate gator football with us.
I've posted a picture of the water slide to the left.


On Sunday I went to the awards ceremony/ end of year banquet for the Inter-Residence Hall Association.. the one I am involved in (Broward Area Council) won a couple of awards, including Most Improved Area Government. We wrote a 10 page bid and did a presentation to the directors of Housing on why we should win... turns out they agreed with us! And our President, Esther, won President of the Year. This award wasn't something we presented or wrote something on.. so it was such a big honor for Esther to be picked from all 12 different candidates. I was proud! All in all I am really glad I was involved with this organization this year. I made some amazing friendships, had good laughs, and got lots of opportunities for leadership experience. As a Resident Assistant next year I will work a little with Broward Area Council again and hopefully attend some of their events with my residents. =)

No comments: