Dec 16, 2009

put my feet in the sand

As I sat down to write this I laughed a little.
I was planning on writing about how much I am looking forward to my cruise for my birthday coming up this friday, because I need girl time, a good tan, a tropical drink, dancing, travelling and so on.. the funny part is that it is 85 degrees here during the day. (Summer decided to kidnap our winter this year.)
I could have gone to the beach today, December 15th; how does that make sense?... you cannot tell me Global Warming is NOT real. Just so you know, there has been a temperature increase in the past century, about 1 degree. Whether or not you care or even know anything about the Earth's climate, I will tell you: the cold hard facts are that yes, the Earth is getting warmer. The US alone, accounts for 1/4th of all carbon emissions. Surface temperature is projected to rise by another 11 degrees in the 21st century, at current and projected levels of emissions and activity. Why the US hasn't signed the Kyoto Protocol... I don't know.
I am going to be a little blunt when I say Americans in general are lazy, ignorant and uneducated. There is an overall lack of motivation from people to preserve and protect their Earth. I will acknowledge recent efforts to Go Green have been promising but using your recyclable bags at the grocery store isn't the only way you should respond to our changing climate.
I am guilty of this as well, but I would hope that the phrase "White Christmas" wouldn't be something future generations only know about because their grandparents tell them.
(Not that FL has seen one in the past 20 years anyway!)


No comments: